Failed to Boot

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 14 13:30:51 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:08:14 -0400, "Sperry Russ"
<sperry at newcreations.info> said:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD with a little experience in Linux and of course have
> used Windows. I have installed the Freebsd 4.8 from a CD that I
> downloaded and burned. I got the 610mb iso.
>
> I am using a boot manager named BootIt  and have win2000, linux and other
> systems installed.
>
> When I installed FreeBSD I set it not to modify my boot manager.  Upon my
> first boot it booted to the point of a prompt with the words: mount root>
> and informed me that i needed to supply a file system and device.
>
> What do I need to do to make it boot to a normal command line? I searched
> the faq and could find nothing about it in the Install manual either.

What you did was to set the FreeBSD installation not to modify the MBR
(master boot record).  There's no entry in the MBR (or, in the case of
BootIt, the EMBR) to tell BootIt "Here's the bootable partition for
FreeBSD!"  Go back to the point in the install where you choose what to
do with the MBR and choose the "normal" MBR entry.  BootIt should then
automagically detect the MBR entry for FreeBSD; you may (or may not) have
to do a bit of editing in the boot menu.

Jud