SMP kernel on uniprocessor boxen

Wayne Pascoe freebsd at penguinpowered.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 16:01:28 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 02:55:04PM -0700, Sêrêciya Kurdistanî wrote:

> > Is there any harm to running a SMP kernel on uni processor boxen ?
>
>   Yes.  You may be a little dissappointed when the machine does not
>   boot up ;)

Uh, I was more talking of performance issues. I've just rebuilt most of
our boxes with 4.8-STABLE. As I wanted to only do the make buildworld
and make buildkernel on one machine and export that, I used SMP options
in the kernel.

All of the machines booted fine. About half of them are uniprocessor. I
was just wondering if I am liable to see any performance issues as a
result of this.

Thanks,

--
Wayne Pascoe