moused weirdness with kvm (BSD)

Ilya Ayzenshtok ilyaa11 at hotpop.com
Sun Apr 13 13:05:47 PDT 2003

This is a common problem with KVM's and optical mice/trackballs. I've
had an identical problem with an IBM optical mouse attached to a KVM,
one side was Linux and another one was Windows 2000 Pro (same problem
repeated with FreeBSD/Win2KPro combo).

The problem seems to be that Win and *nix somehow treat optical mice
differently. I've researched the topic online, but could not find a
single solution, although the problem is acknowledged. So what I end
up doing is either a) get a mechanical mouse and use it between the
hosts, or b) don't run xfree on unix, or c) give them separate mice.

the problem might have to do something with the mouse protocol
selection in xf86config, but it's just my wild guess.

Ilya.