E-mail Scam, Addressess being collected of mailing list ::Advice Requested

Louis LeBlanc leblanc+freebsd at keyslapper.org
Sun Apr 13 09:43:21 PDT 2003

On 04/13/03 04:39 PM, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sunday 13 April 2003 16:19, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > >   I have reason to believe that these scammers are collecting e-mail
> > > addresses of our mailing list users, I'm taking this very seriously and
> > > would like ask the more experienced of you on what action to take next.
> > Welcome to hell.  While I don't have 100% proof ... I think you are
> > absolutely correct: that spammers harvest email addresses from this (among
> > others) list.
>
> Well, I can prove it. I'm using different addresses for various lists, so I
> know *where* spammers get my address. And the address I'm using for this list
> gets it's share of spam. :-(
>
> And once... *once* in a thoughtless moment my address I only use for personal
> use ended up here... few days later an address that have been perfectly
> spamfree for *years* started receiving penisenlargement investment from horny
> wet teenies through Nigerian Bank...

Yup.  I subscribe to 8 or 10 mailing lists off and on, and with
different addresses for each (notice the '+freebsd), and I'm always
surprised to see new mail show up in a list folder that I've
unsubscribed from months earlier.

I highly recommend Spamassassin.  2.5x is very good once you get the
bayes filters trained.  I have had about a 99.5% success rate, with
only one false positive and about 4 or 5 false negatives in about
1,000 spam messages.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

No amount of careful planning will ever replace dumb luck.