imake 1.0 vs. 4.3.0

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1050675588.981e42 at mired.org
Sun Apr 13 07:19:50 PDT 2003

In <20030413075730.GA56425 at gicco.homeip.net>, Hanspeter Roth <hampi at rootshell.be> typed:
>   On Apr 12 at 15:58, Kris Kennaway spoke:
> > imake is for XFree86 3.x.  You have to remove it before you can
> > install 4.x
> Are conflicting ports not handled by the ports system?

They aren't detected by the ports system, and it will let you install
ports that overwrite parts of other ports or the system.

> How can one know whether there are conflicts with other ports?

Usually because the names are similar.

I'm not sure where Kris got the idea that imake couldn't coexist with
XFree86 4. I've got imake 4.3.0 installed as well as XFree86 4.3, and
haven't had any problems. For that matter, I have a slew of ports that
are tagged as depending on imake, though why they should depend on it
after the build I don't know.

	<mike