which options of Ethernet should i delete from my kernel?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Apr 13 05:26:28 PDT 2003

On 2003-04-13 01:24, FLYING LI <apassingtraveller at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> there is only one Realtek 8029 Ethernet card in my
> computer.below is the result of dmesg command:
> # dmesg|grep Ethernet
> ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> port
> 0xec00-0xec1f irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0

> and this is abstract from my kernel:
[ snip]

A kernel config abstract is not very useful in this case, since it lacks
information that is important.  You should either post the *entire*
file, or the output of the following command:

	$ diff -u GENERIC MYKERNEL

where MYKERNEL is the name of your custom config file.

> now i want to delete those options have nothing to do with my
> Ethernet.and i have learned that the "device ed0" is necessary cause
> there was a qusion "would you like to Bring up the ed0 interface right
> now?" in the progress of system installing.i have tried to delete some
> options of Ethernet serveral times,but unfortunately,my computer can
> not boot.

What do you mean by "it can not boot"?

> So,if you do know which options can be deleted safety.tell me
> please.thank you very much!  wish everyone a happy day!

Try starting with a copy of GENERIC, like this:

	# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

and then comment out parts of the file.  You should be able to use your
ed0 interface as long as you don't comment out or delete the following
lines of MYKERNEL:

        device          ether    # Ethernet support
        device          miibus   # MII bus support
        device          ed       # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards

- Giorgos