Problems with BIND named

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat Apr 12 17:35:11 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Apr 12, 2003, at 17:07 US/Pacific, David Varieur wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:52:50 -0700
> Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD 4.6.  I am encountering problems with named.  It is starting
>> again after several years of no problems to eat up all my swap space
>> and then exit.  So I added a datasize 30M to named.conf and now the
>> data size sits at about 30 MB.  However, after about 12 hours of
>> working fine, I got the message cannot allocat memory and it exited
>> again.  This is a mail server that handles a high volume of traffic
>> and
>> looks up a large number of names.  Perhaps limiting the datasize is
>> not
>> the right approach, but I need to make it remove entries from its
>> tables rather than keep them for days.  What is the best approach for
>> this?
>>

> If you're running Bind 9.2 or better you can use "max-cache-size".
> "max-cache-ttl" may also serve.

Version 8.3.3

Further reading gives me the impression that datasize is a limit but
doesn't cause any older records to be dropped when its reached.  It
just runs out of space.  It looks like that won't do what I want.  I
suspect I need to find some way to make the cache have a max retention
time that I can specify for retrieved records.  I haven't found such a
thing yet.