Getting any jdk to work with latest freeBSD isimpossible?

Mike Meyer mwm-dated-1050616123.376c8b at mired.org
Sat Apr 12 14:48:45 PDT 2003

In <200304122106.h3CL6jk07166 at thunder.trej.net>, Joachim Dagerot <freebsd at dagerot.nu> typed:
> I'm very new to freeBSD (installed it this week). I do have some
> experience with linux and I'm comfortable with java.
> I don't know anything about patches, kernals etc.
> I have tried to install jdk14 and jdk13.
> All to be found in my /usr/ports/java/.
> I have followed all instructions on screen about downloading from sun
> and getting a patch from eyesbeyond (or whatever it was called).
>
> On jdk14 I get this errormessage:
> LIBC_R TEST FAILED: libc_r update required
> *** Error code 1

jdk14 is flagged as very unstable, and they recommend you use jdk13 instead.

> on jdk13 I get another:
> Linux mode is not enabled. Loading Linux kernel module...
> linux: not found
> The Linux kernel module could not be loaded. Please manually load
> the module and retry. See "man linux" for details.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13.
> *** Error code 1

Sounds like the linux-sun-jdk13 port is assuming you /usr/sbin in your
path, and you haven't got that set up. You can solve this by adding
/usr/sbin to your path, or manually running "/usr/sbin/linux" before
you try the build.

	<mike