Getting any jdk to work with latest freeBSD isimpossible?

Joachim Dagerot freebsd at dagerot.nu
Sat Apr 12 14:07:15 PDT 2003

I'm very new to freeBSD (installed it this week). I do have some
experience with linux and I'm comfortable with java.

I don't know anything about patches, kernals etc.

I have tried to install jdk14 and jdk13.
All to be found in my /usr/ports/java/.

I have followed all instructions on screen about downloading from sun
and getting a patch from eyesbeyond (or whatever it was called).

On jdk14 I get this errormessage:
LIBC_R TEST FAILED: libc_r update required
*** Error code 1

on jdk13 I get another:
Linux mode is not enabled. Loading Linux kernel module...
linux: not found
The Linux kernel module could not be loaded. Please manually load
the module and retry. See "man linux" for details.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13.
*** Error code 1

Can someone please guide me to either a good page where this problem
is described with solutions, or, in a very pedagogic way explain how I
can get a javacompiler on my freebsd machine?