Newbie needs help.

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Fri Apr 11 17:47:33 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 05:13:58PM -0700, Max Guernsey wrote:
> I've installed FreeBSD 5.0 and when the system reboots I keep getting
>
> ... inetd[488]: cannot execute /usr/local/sbin/nmbd: No such file or
> directory
> ... Inetd[489]: cannot execute /usr/local/sbin/nmbd: No such file or
> directory
> ... Inetd[490]: cannot execute /usr/local/sbin/nmbd: No such file or
> directory
>

> And so on.
>
> I tried to comment out the start of inetd, line 741 of /etc/rc but that
> just caused some other service to choke on /usr/local/sbin/nmbd.  Any
> idea, what's wrong or what I can do to fix the problem?

Yow!  Don't edit /etc/rc!  It controls system startup, and as you found,
editing it can break stuff unpredictably.

Instead, look in /etc/inetd.conf - this controls what services are available
through inetd.  Look for the line that starts nmbd, and simply comment it
out, then restart inetd with something like

 # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

If you have installed Samba (of which nmbd is a constituent element), you
should check that the install was clean, and edit the path in inetd.conf to
point to the correct location, so that when inetd receives an nmbd request,
it can start the program properly.  (Although if you are using Samba, you
should really start smbd and nmbd in standalone mode to help reduce startup
times for each new request.)

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \