Unable to get hostname through DHCP

Daniel Bye dan at slightlystrange.org
Fri Apr 11 17:10:56 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:35:53PM -0400, Harikesavan Krishnan wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have installed FreeBSD in a machine over an NFS. I have enabled the
> DHCP options, for my server to assign an IP and a hostname to this m/c.
> While this machine picks up the IP address, it doesnt seem to catch
> the hostname supplied by the DNS. I have disabled the hostname field in
> /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Could you please help me out with this.

Try putting a "require" directive in your /etc/dhclient.conf:

interface "xl0" {
    require host-name;
}

where you will change "xl0" for the name of the DHCP interface on your
machine.  Then relaunch dhclient.

Check out the dhclient(8), dhclient.conf(5) and dhcp-options(5) man pages
for many more config options.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \