Questions on installing a new kernel

James Schmidt james at JamesSchmidt.Com
Fri Apr 11 08:09:15 PDT 2003

Is there a way to install a new kernel without having it overwrite
kernel.old and /modules.old with the existing kernel and /modules?

For example, I am in the process of experimenting with new kernels and I
am doing a lot of kernel compiles and installs.  I have a good kernel.old,
but every time I compile and install a new experimental kernel, it
overwrites my good kernel.old with the previous new kernel image I
previously compiled and installed (does that make sense?)

I'd like a static kernel.old and modules.old that I know is good that I
can boot from regardless of how many kernels I have compiled and
installed.

Thanks,
James Schmidt