how to set my monitor properly?

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 06:34:02 PDT 2003

FLYING LI <apassingtraveller at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

>I have two OS on my computer:FreeBSD 4.7 & MS win98.I
>have installed Nvidia driver for FreeBSD,and there is
>two questions of X now.
>1>
>the desktop is smaller than my monitor's physical size
>when i come into X of FreeBSD.if i adjust it well and
>reboot to win98,the same phenomenon will happen.

The answer depends on the type of monitor.  Older types had 'analogue'
control with a row of physical potentiometers, one each for height/
width etc.  With this type you usually have to make adjustments every
time you change resolution or refresh rate.  Modern digitally controlled
monitors memorise user settings for every valid mode they detect.
Most of this type store new settings automatically, but some require you
to press a 'store' button.

So if you have the latter type and win98 runs at a vertical refresh rate
of 100Hz and FreeBSD at 85Hz, then the monitor should remember what you
set and you should only have to adjust once for each OS.

>2>
>my monitor can display 800x600 at 100Hz at win98.but it
>can only display 800x600 at 85Hz at FreeBSD.

But which is correct for your monitor? If you have the handbook for it
then look there for the specification.  Or check on the internet.
Most monitors seem to be listed somewhere, though you may not get a
definitive answer.

If you're sure that your monitor would be happy at 100Hz, then you
can adjust the upper limit of the VertRefresh value in the Monitor
section of your X configuration file.
Usually found at: /etc/X11/XF86Config.

Lastly; if you get both win98 and FreeBSD going at the same refresh
rates and there are still intolerable size/position differences
then you may be able to generate a modeline for XF86Config (perhaps
by using xvidtune) which will make the X display exactly match that of win98.

HTH
John.