portupgrade: reverting to a previous version

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Thu Apr 10 23:47:01 PDT 2003

Recently I upgraded postgresql using portupgrade. The upgrade involved a
change in data file formats. I should have dumped my database first, so
that I could import the data into the new version. Since portupgrade did
the make; make install "automatically" I never had the opportunity to
discover this fact until it was too late. The new version of postgresql
will not open my database :-(

I have posted a request for assistance on the postgresql admin mailing
list, but since one solution might involve portupgrade I thought it
worthwhile here.

I understand that portupgrade saves the old version of a port. True? Can
somebody explain how I can recover that version? My plan is to go back to
the old version, dump the data, then go forward again to the new version.
Is there a better way?

--