diskless FreeBSD 5.0

taxman taxman at acd.net
Thu Apr 10 18:06:35 PDT 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 07:40 pm, Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:
> Hello pals!
>
> I'm trying to make an x-term out of a pentium II/366MHz computer.
>
> I believe I have successfully installed the operating system
> for my x-term in the /usr/diskless directory on my server.
> Configured nfs, dhcp and tftp and anyone of them works fine.
> I compiled a kernel that includes the following options:
>
>         options BOOTP
>         options BOOTP_COMPAT
>         options BOOTP_NFSROOT
>
> and put it in the /tftpboot directory.
>
> Now, I started my xterm with etherboot.  Etherboot recognizes
> the network configuration.

> ROM segment 0x1000 legth 0x4000 reloc 0x8f00
> Boot from (N)etwork or from (L)ocal? N
> Etherboot/32 version 4.6.1 (GPL) for [3C5x9]
> Probing...[3C5x9]3C5x9 board on ISA at 0x300 - 10base2
> Ethernet address: 00:20:AF:39:55:F2
> Searching for server (DHCP)...
> Me: 192.168.123.37, Server 192.168.123.112, Gateway 192.168.123.254
>
> Now, the kernel loads, suddenly it freezes, and my computer reboots.
> According to some letters in the list, I saw somebody suggesting
> to add  CPUTYPE=i686 to the /etc/make.conf file before compiling
> the kernel.  I did it but the result is the same.
>
> Where did I go wrong?

nowhere that i know of.  I seem to recall a series of messages on -current to
the effect that diskless booting was just broken on 5.0-release.  You'll need
to run -current with all that goes along with that or go back to 4.8 or
4-stable.   See:
http://mired.org:8080/5.0-not-production.html

> Could you help me?

nope, i on't know anything about it, sorry

Tim