questions about fast ping

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Apr 10 13:44:56 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Apr 10), Kan Cai said:
>   The fast ping I am testing can only send 200 packets per second or
> so. It is too less for a 11Mbps orinoco golden card. Could someone
> tell me what's the reason?
>
>   from netstat info, 2*20,000*8 = 320,000 bit/sec.

If you are pinging a remote FreeBSD system, make sure you have raised
the icmp limit: sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.icmplim=1000 (the default is
200).

Also, you will only get over 200 packets/sec if your ping time is under
5ms (since ping -f waits for a response before sending another packet,
and 1000ms / 5ms = 200).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com