sendmail woes

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 23:58:26 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:32:00AM +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote
>
> >What's your sendmail-related rc.conf part like?
> >
> >	% grep -i sendmail /etc/rc.conf
> >
> sendmail_enable="YES"
>
> I waited a L O N G time during boot and eventually this sequence occurred:
>
> Starting standard daemons: inetd cron printer sshd usbd sendmail
> sendmail-clientmqueue.
>
> The boot then continued normally to the login prompt.

That's a classic symptom of DNS problems. Your sendmail installation
is probably perfectly good in itself, but sendmail is blocking trying
to resolve the FQDN of the host via the DNS, and it's the DNS that you
need to concentrate on fixing.  Note: it's got to be able to use the
DNS to do those lookups, or it won't be much use for the rest of the
internet to communicate with.  There should be more information about
exactly what lookups are failing in /var/log/maillog.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way