Advertising?

Willie Viljoen will at unfoldings.net
Wed Apr 9 03:07:13 PDT 2003

(Now also guilty of top posting)

It doesn't need to be banned, because it's not allowed anyway. The message
you see there is a spam, the common word for unsoliceted bulk e-mail. The
sender probably bought a "million address" CD from an equally unscrupelous
source, and just sent the e-mail. freebsd-questions at freebsd.org just
happened to be on this list.

This is done in the hope that somebody with limited experience will presume
that the e-mail was addressed to them. They would then reply, and the
spammer will probably offer them a few cents per month. This way, they get
wide spread exposure for their (usually) inferior products or scams, at
very little or no cost.

Unfortunately, this happens, as the internet expanded, the filth we all know
as "smash-and-grab" commerce immediately started to infest it.

Will

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 11:39, someone, possibly David Richards, typed:
> Banned it or make them pay big sytle towards the freebsd project or do
> both :)
>
> On Tuesday 08 April 2003 06:15, Moritz Fromwald wrote:
> > I think advertising on mailing-list should be banned
> >
> > regards
> >
> > moritz fromwald
> >
> > Von:            	"Greg" <greg at seopa.com>
> > An:             	<freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG>
> > Datum:   	Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:57:11 +0100
> > Betreff:        	Advertising?
> > Antwort an:     	Greg <greg at seopa.com>
> > 	<mailto:freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org?subject=subscribe>
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was wondering if you would consider selling advertising on your
> > > site. I have a number of sites i would be keen to promote - mostly
> > > insurance related.
> > >
> > > All i would want is a small text link anywhere on the page for a site
> > > such as www.car-insurance-first.co.uk
> > >
> > > Let me know what you think,
> > >
> > > Greg Wilson.

Willie Viljoen