remote upgrades

Wayne Pascoe freebsd at penguinpowered.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 00:36:27 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:47:40PM -0500, Randy Schultz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> What's the preferred method (or what are the methods, in case I missed any)
> to remote upgrade a system?  I've been looking into the 3 methods and it
> seems doing it from source is about the only way no?  The binary upgrade
> would be good except ones needs to boot the new version from floppy.  Just
> for grins I tried the "sysinstall installUpgrade" on a testbed.  Seemed to
> work but /kernel was missing.  Oops.

Depends on your installation. We have quite a number of servers, so we
usually do a make buildworld and make buildkernel on one server, then
mount /usr/src and /usr/obj onto the other servers and do a make
installworld and make installkernel on each of the machines that we're
upgrading.

This keeps all the expensive compile work on a single machine, and
ensures that all of our boxen are identical.

For certain boxes that mustn't have some software touched, we do a make
world on that box with it's own make.conf

HTH,

--
Wayne Pascoe