Firewall testing issues.

Mark Gladman mark_gladman at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 22:05:40 PDT 2003

Hi there,

I pointed this question at the freebsd-newbies list previously, and only
afterwards realised that it's probably more technical than should be posted
to that list.. oops..

Anyway, I've got an external ADSL router which uses a static route to
forward packets(?) to a FreeBSD box using ipfw. I've configured ipfw to some
extent (still some stuff not working..), but I'm currently tweaking the
config for it. Now, what happens when I try and get someone to portscan it
from the outside world (using nmap), instead of it portscanning the FreeBSD
box, it scans the ADSL router, even though I thought that the static route
just handed all incoming packets to the FreeBSD box?

The ADSL router has NAT'ing enabled on it, as opposed to the FreeBSD machine
doing the NAT'ing. (This was the way that was recommended to me, and seems
to work).

So I'm just wondering.. how can I tell if the firewall is actually working
or not? because portscanning it internally won't be a problem since all the
internal computers have the ability to do pretty much whatever they want,
and doing it externally just hits the ADSL router.

Hope this makes some sense!

Cheers,
Mark