From 4.7 to 4.8

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Apr 8 11:34:34 PDT 2003

On Monday 07 April 2003 05:08 pm, Mark Weinem wrote:

> > as far as I understand it, it's the worst of the three options.
> > Back up and reinstall is the most reliable.  I've done many many
> > source upgrades, and never had serious problems that trying again
> > didn't fix.
>
> I don't see why binary upgrading should be worst. Never had serious
> problems with it.

I also agree with your comments about binary upgrading. I never had a
problem jumping to a major upgrade. Some friends use a clean instal but
I think that isl because they need to rethink their arrangements. It
will also get rid of extraneous stuff.

I think a major upgrade such as a 4.x to 5.x system might be handled
best with a reinstall. I did this recently when 5.0 was released. The
reason I did a reinstall was because my fs setup was totally inadequate
for my uses. I think I had a 100 MB / and was always fighting to keep
it under 100%. The next version had a 500 MB / and I am running
something like 15-16%.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart