XFree86 3.3.6 and 4.3.0 trouble

Jeff D. Hamann jeff_hamann at hamanndonald.com
Mon Apr 7 23:41:20 PDT 2003

I'm having troubles, after I switched to a new flat panel monitor. I've used
xf86configure to reconfig my FreeBSD 4.4 machine and when I try to run
startx I get the following message:

fatal server error:
No valid modes found.

When I configured the server, I entered that all resolutions are available
and I still get this problem. I got it to work a couple of times when logged
in as root, but not as another user. Has anyone got any tips for using a
flat panel display with 4.4? It's a NEN Multisync LCD 1555V (resolution
1024x768, 32 bit color).

Is there a way to purge an old XF86Config files to make sure an old one
isn't being used. Also, I tried to upgrade to XFree86 4.3.0 and it bombed.

Jeff.