rsync over SSH

Michael probsd at ec.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 18:11:44 PDT 2003

I need to be able to rsync to a remote box over SSH and the module on the
remote box also requires AUTH.

Setup
--------
remote box = frank
module       = suz
auth user for module suz = dirt
login on remote box  = tree

Attempted command:
rsync -avz -e "ssh -l tree"  dirt at frank::suz /my/path/to/download/to/

SSH works and I enter my login for tree but then rsynch fails:

rsync: unable to open configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or
directory
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at clientserver.c(502)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

rsyncd.conf does exist in /usr/local/etc/  and I can pull stuff down from
the module suz without SSH:

rsync -avz dirt at frank::suz /my/path/to/download/to/

Why with the addition of SSH is it looking for rsyncd.conf?

michael