KDE driver issue

Scott A. Moberly smoberly at karamazov.org
Mon Apr 7 07:01:44 PDT 2003

> 	I just recently converted my windows 2000 box over to Freebsd with KDE
> 3.1.  KDE loads up just fine, but just before it gets to the desktop, it
> gives the error "Error while initializing the sound driver.  Device
> /dev/dsp can't be opened. (Device not configured)  The sound server will
> continue, using the null output device."
>
> 	Ok, I'm stumped.  I've never seen this error before.  Anyone know what I
> need to do to fix this?  Thanks.

Build a new kernel with sound support.  Might start with:

kldload snd_pcm # or another more appropriate driver

to make sure the sound card is functional.

cat /dev/sndstat # will give you more information about the sound drivers.
--
Scott A. Moberly
smoberly at karamazov.org

The Jones-Eistein Principle
	Originality is the art of concealing your source.