From 4.7 to 4.8

taxman taxman at acd.net
Sun Apr 6 19:13:01 PDT 2003

On Sunday 06 April 2003 09:50 pm, Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a safe way to upgrade the system?
>
> In this computer, I have over 15Gb in files, so doing a backup isn't
> viable.

It has to be.  If you can't backup you can't upgrade.  Well you can, you just
have to be willing to lose all your files.  This is not a FreeBSD or even an
OS specific problem.  Disks fail, if you can't backup then you're saying your
data is not important enough to protect.  If it is important enough that you
can't go without it, you need to figure out how to back it up.  In that
light, maybe buying a second disk to move the data to would be worth it.
If you can afford to lose the data, then use whatever method, as it doesn't
matter.

That said, your data is rarely (though not never) lost in an upgrade.  But do
make sure to backup all of /etc/  and anything you may have modified on your
system.

Like I said, I prefer the source upgrade method.  It requires a fair bit of
learning to pull off, but everything you need to know can be found in the
handbook.  www.freebsd.org/handbook
The payoff for the learning effort is that you can upgrade when security
issues come up.  Doing this by source is the only real way I can think of.

Also, please keep all mailing list mail on the list, that is how people learn
and how this works.  If I can't answer your question (which is often) others
may be able to.

Good luck,

	Tim