Don't get caught like me - 4.8 update and missed adding the sshd user

Carl Morley bsdmn at webize.com.au
Sun Apr 6 16:33:39 PDT 2003

Hi,
Just a tale of woe with a happy ending I thought I'd share in the hope
of helping others from doing the same - although it was pretty
stupid....

Did a remote update for one of my firewall systems (as I do monthly for
lots of them) via ssh - cvsup to 4_STABLE, make world etc - and finally
ran mergemaster.

BUT!  I must have missed the fact that the master password file had a
new user called sshd (27) during the merge, and I just used my old
file.... whoops....

SSHD didn't fire up on the reboot, so no access to the server.  Raced in
frantically and fixed the problem inside a few minutes - but not good
for the blood pressure.

Moral of the story - read the mergemaster output CAREFULLY.... even on
files that you habitually ignore!

Cheers,
Carl.

Webize Pty Ltd