paths - a newbie question

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sat Apr 5 08:38:21 PST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:25:01PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:06:02AM -0500, Walter wrote:
> > Mike Meyer wrote:
> > >In <3E8EF5F3.2040405 at earthlink.net>, Walter <walterk1 at earthlink.net> typed:

> > >This is your shell, not the OS. Without knowing which shell you are
> > >using, I can't say for sure, but you might try the "rehash" command.
> >
> > Beauty!  Worked great.  (It's the /bin/csh.)
> > Maybe someone could add a note on this to the
> > ports/packages section of the handbook??
>
> I don't wish to be rude, but maybe you could read your shells' manual page,
> or a book for new UNIX users ?
>
> The handbook is rather unwieldy as it is, and is really meant for FreeBSD
> specific things (hence the name).  Sometimes we do hand hold in that document,
> but there has to be a limit.
>
> As I said, please don't take offence.

It's already in the documentation for FreeBSD - try looking in the book
'For People New to Both FreeBSD and Unix'
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/new-users/index.html) :)
Under the 'Next Steps' chapter it does indeed tell you to 'rehash' after
installing new software.

Bruce Cran