FreeBSD Port/Distribution Installation

David Banning david at skytracker.ca
Fri Apr 4 23:17:25 PST 2003

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 02:42:47PM +0800, Sukhbinder Singh wrote:
> I am using a fast ethernet network card with an external xDSL modem.

In that case you should be well on your way. Check out that page;
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

To find out your network device try "dmesg | more" and
you should find an entry like, in my case;

rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem 0xde000000-0xde0000ff ir
q 10 at device 11.0 on pci0

The rl0 in my case is what goes in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf in the line;

set device PPPoE:xl1 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device

Here is my ppp.conf file, less my login and password;

default: # or name_of_service_provider
      set device PPPoE:rl0 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
      set mru 1492
      set mtu 1492
      set authname mylogin
      set authkey mypassword
      set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
      set dial
      set login
      set ifaddr 209.188.66.29 206.221.248.4
      add default HISADDR
      nat enable yes # if you want to enable nat for your local net

The ifaddr line would not be suitable for you because I have a
static IP, and that address is mine. Instead use the one from the
FreeBSD page.

I fire up ppp with the following command;

/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat default

initially, you can do it manually.
enter ppp as root.
then type "dial". The ppp prompt should gradually go to upper case.
When all three P's are upper case then you should be running.

A good way to know if you are connected is by using ping;

"ping -c 5 64.58.79.230"  (that IP belongs to yahoo, but any will do.)