problems with 4.8 release?

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 4 17:18:32 PST 2003

Aslak Evang wrote:
> howdy. I upgraded from 4.7 to 4.8 release today and have had some
> trouble afterwards.
>
> Firstly, MySQL suddenly started using huge amounts of memory, diskspace
> and cpu resulting in kernel errors

I suspect you are using the "Linux Threads" version of MySQL.

The default KVA/UVA bance changed recently in the RELENG_4 branch,
and this caused the Linux threads mailbox location negotiated
between the kernel and user space to change.

This was "fixed" in 4.8-RELEASE, but it was fixed in a way that
lets you move KVA_PAGES up and down, but it is not binarily
compatible.

You probably need to relink MySQL against the new Linux threads
library, which probably means recompiling both the library port
and MySQL.

-- Terry