Mboard + CPU Upgrade

Joseph Maxwell jemaxwell at jaymax.com
Fri Apr 4 13:03:38 PST 2003

Hello,

I've transferred two disks from a failed machine to another, with
different MotherBoard and CPU. The diff / similarities follows:

Differences -

 Old Architecture:

      Shuttle AI61 motherboard
      AMD K7 CPU Processor 900 Mhz
      AMD751 Chipset
      3 DIMM Sockets

 New Architecture:

      Shuttle AK32A motherboard
      AMD Athlon CPU 1.5 GHz
      Chipset(s) - 2:     VIA VT8366A & VIA VT8233
      2 DIMM Sockets each, DDR/SDR

Similarities:

     Same Hard drives (2 - Boot & data)
     Memory sticks
     5 PCI & 1 AGP slots
     3 PC Cards
          A Diamond Stealth Video Card
          A line modem card
          A SMC NIC

I transferred all the cards including the NIC to ensure similarity of
Hardware Profile.
Machine boots partially, probing devices, listing to stdout. Readout
aborts consistently at a line which is difficult to read on the fly, but
the last few lines have been extracted, which from by naive point of
view seems to indicate a USB problem. I've done a reconfig of kernel, no
significant difference or conflicts were found. I've double check the
BIOS to make sure all relevant USB / PCI options are enabled ( at least
so I think ).
The messages from the last few lines of the probe are as follows:

ahci0:  <VIA 83C572 USB Controller> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq11 at dcsi....

cio
<VIA 83C572 USB Controller>> on ubc 10
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

At this point, last line above, the screen blanks out, process exits
presumably.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--  Joe  --

PS: If I switch disks to boot of Windows, system boots & operates
normally indicating hardware set up OK - I believe