newfs parameters for a 500 GB volume ?

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Thu Apr 3 02:52:56 PST 2003

Jan Grant wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>

>>Thank you for your reply. I have reread the manpage and would go for:
>>- blocksize   => 64 kB
>>- fragsize        => 64/8 => 8 kB
>>- bytes/inode   => 16 kB
>>
>>Are these values reasonable or should i use higher values (because the
>>disk is so large?)
>>

>I'd turn bytes per inode up to 200k or so - there's a paragraph in "man
>7 tuning" on this.
>
>If the application is critical then benchmarking "real use" as closely
>as possible will enable you to find optimal sizes for stripes, and is
>probably time well spent.

Oh, i had forgotten the tuning(7) manpage. Neiter newfs nore tunefs
contain a refrence to it!
Having read it, i am not so sure about the blocksize any more.I
t says that going higher that 16K can make the fs slower. Does this
still hold true?
As for bytes/inode, i would now use 262144.
Striping will be done by a 3ware escalade raid controller, which (i
*think*) does not give me much choices about the stripesize.

Heinrich