FreeBSD Distribution installations

John Vender john at jmv.com.au
Thu Apr 3 00:28:28 PST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:06 PM, Sukhbinder Singh wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      Can anyone explain, how can I install more distribution into a
> running freebsd from the root directory. for example if my initial
> freebsd installation was only customed to install the bin (required)
> distribution only, how can I install other distributions like the games
> distribution, the man distribution, the crypto distribution and etc.
>
> thanks,

You should be able to add to your installation using sysinstall. First
start your modem connection loggen in as root. Then do the the following

#/stand/sysinstall

from the main menu select Upgrade an existing system

press enter when you get the message "First, you must select some
distribution components. ..."

on the next screen select the option Custom by highlighting it and
pressing space bar

the next screen should show a list of available distributions, highlight
those you wish to install and press space bar to select them

after you've done this press enter which will return you to the Choose
Distributions screen. Press enter again to get to a confirmation
question.

I'm using an old version of FreeBSD here to check this so I hope this is
still valid. If this isn't right hopefully someone else will correct it.

Cheers...John