rebuild one module

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Wed Apr 2 11:50:06 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:35:15PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2003 20:23, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Well, what are you doing now to build the kernel? You should be able
> > to use the classic kernel build method, except you don't have to
> > repeat any of the steps but "make".
>
> What I am doing is
> $ cd /usr/src
> $ make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_CONF
> $ make installkernel KERNCONF=MY_CONF
>
> Then I reboot the machine. But I don't want to rebuild the kernel each time I
> change one line in the emu10k1... I want to be able to just rebuild the
> module itself.
>
> Antoine

You could either use:

# make buildkernel -DNOCLEAN KERNCONF=MY_CONF

or you could just:

# cd /sys/modules/sound/driver/emu10k1
# make install

If you're careful about what's using the driver you can probably get away
with just unloading and reloading the module to test your changes, rather
than rebooting every time.

Cheers,

	Scott