bin/48341: [sysinstall] sysinstall deletes mbr although it

Heiner h.eichmann at gmx.de
Sun Jun 25 09:30:26 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR bin/48341; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Heiner <h.eichmann at gmx.de>
To: John Baldwin <john at baldwin.cx>,
 bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 h.eichmann at gmx.de
Subject: Re: bin/48341: [sysinstall] sysinstall deletes mbr although it
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:26:58 +0200

 On Monday 19 June 2006 21:18, John Baldwin wrote:
 > Please fix your mail server to actually honor what SPF says if you want
 > people to reply to your questions.  The SPF record for FreeBSD.org is not
 > exclusive.

 Sorry, my mail provider seems to be black listed sometimes. Can't do anything
 against it ...

 > Hmm, this is because the menu is not about leaving the MBR completely
 > untouched (we couldn't add new slices if we did that!) but instead about
 > leaving the boot code in the MBR untouched.  Note that the Active flag
 > isn't stored in the boot code, but in the partition table.  When you
 > create the FreeBSD slice in the MBR during installation, it will have
 > the Active flag set.  You can manually reset the Active flag on the

 That is right. But what are the options? Either I do not have a bootloader
 installed. Then "standard" is the correct choice. Or I have other OS
 installed and I would like to let the BSD boot manager handle it.
 Then "BootMgr" is a good choice. Or I would like let my favorite boot manager
 do the job. Then "None" is my choice. Unfortunately my favorite boot manager
 will not boot, as the active flag has been changed! I can not think on any
 situation, where this behaviour might be usefull!

 > Windows partition before exiting that stage of the disk editor and
 > things should work as expected.  Would you be able to try that out and
 > verify that?

 I did. During the fdisk "Allocating Disk Space" of the installation I selected
 the windows partition and pressed 'S'. After the installation the windows
 partition was still active. So this is a good workaround.

 Heiner