bin/52271: sysinstall panics in machine with no hard drive

Christopher M. Giordano CGiordano at ids.net
Sat Aug 30 11:40:13 PDT 2003

The following reply was made to PR bin/52271; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Christopher M. Giordano" <CGiordano at ids.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, andrew at ugh.net.au
Subject: Re: bin/52271: sysinstall panics in machine with no hard drive
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:36:07 -0400

 I have experienced the exact same symptoms while trying to boot the
 install CD-ROM for 5.1-RELEASE on my new Intel 875P motherboard system.
 I have two SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 config (NTFS format for Win XP),
 so I'm assuming that FreeBSD is not seeing them correctly and is reacting
 as if no drives are in the system.

 I _can_ boot the 5.0-RELEASE CD-ROM, however, which then reports that there
 are no hard drives in system.

 I am currently trying different BIOS settings to see whether the "legacy" mode
 will make them appear as regular IDE drives.  In any case, it seems like this
 should not cause a panic.