more on Problem Report i386/39574

Paul Lambert eb30750 at HotPOP.com
Tue Aug 12 19:22:26 PDT 2003

I have obtained version 5.1 of FreeBSD and attempted to install it.  Still
get the same errors though not as much detail is given.  The error reads
"unable to transfer .... from ufs" where ... represents the specific
distribution such as /manpages, /dist, etc.

When performing a mount command while in the "fixit" shell I get /dev/acd0
on /dist (cd9660, local, read-only).  Previous documentation always
referred to the CDROM drive as /dev/cd0c, especially in the FreeBSD
handbook.  Is our problem a typo?

I have reviewed the first several chapters of the publication "FreeBSD" by
Walnut Creek that I obtained when version 4.4 was released.  Between
reading the www.freebsd.org web and this publication it is not totally
clear if I still need a floppy boot disk.  Maybe this is the problem.  The
book seems to imply that although a CDROM is available that sysinstall must
run from the floppy.

Of course, this is further complicated since the file "boot.flp" on the
floppies directory is 2.8 meg much larger than a floppy can hold.  Which of
course contradicts the web page instructions on using "fdimage" to make a
boot floppy in the first place.

If there is a quick fix to this, send it along to
"lambert_paul_j at lilly.com" and I will replace the files and burn a new CD
and let you know.  Otherwise it appears that this problem will linger
indefinitely.

There are other significant errors with the 5.1 install that weren't there
in 5.0.  For example, after I click "no" to the 15 or so transfer errors,
the system goes ahead and congratulates me on a successful install and asks
if I want to configure networking,user accounts, etc. even though no
software has been installed.  In version 5.0 at least the install program
detected a bad install and terminated the post install configuration.  It
also appears in 5.1 that it cycles 2-3 times through the transfer errors
before giving up.

Thanks

Paul