Introducing python3 into user system

Gerhard Schmidt schmidt at ze.tum.de
Mon Oct 17 17:10:13 UTC 2016

Am 17.10.2016 um 14:03 schrieb Vlad K.:
> On 2016-10-17 13:27, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Please do not break systems without a really good reason. This we can
>> discus in 4 years when support for python2 will end, but not until than.
>
> I agree with the bit of "let's not break systems", but not with the
> second part.
>
> Meanwhile, pkg variants will actually help going forward with ports that
> can run py35, enabling environments that want to be py35 exclusive while
> at the same time provide py27 environments where needed.
>
> So instead of "let's [do nothing and] discuss this in 4 years" I propose
> "let's see how to get variants going" :)

i didn't say do nothing. I just said don't force it. If there is no
python (or python 3.x) on the system port's that can run on both should
use python 3.x by default. If there is python2.7 on the system that
should be used and not force the user to install python3.5 just to
install a package that would run just fine on the already installed
python2.7.

Regards
    Estartu