Introducing python3 into user system

Gerhard Schmidt schmidt at ze.tum.de
Mon Oct 17 17:00:15 UTC 2016

Am 17.10.2016 um 13:46 schrieb Ruslan Makhmatkhanov:
> Gerhard Schmidt wrote on 10/17/2016 14:27:

>>> I mean set USES=python3.3+ for such ports.
>>
>> This will install python3.5 on this system regardless if there is a
>> working python2.x installation, which is exactly what is wrong. I am a
>> software developer who runs legacy systems on python2.7. Forcing ports
>> that are able to run with python2.7 to install python3.5 will most
>> probably break my systems. USES should always represent the minimum
>> requirement not something so feel is something it should use.
>
> I'm not sure how it will break anything if conditions, listed in my
> initial message are complied. Would you please elaborate on that and
> provide an example of such a breakage? python3.5 and python2.7 can
> co-exist. And I just want to remind that we are talking only about
> standalone applications now, with no external dependencies, and also
> about ports that use python only at build phase.

Not everybody what's python3.x on his system. So way force 3.5 when it's
not needed. Why should I install python 3.5 when i already have
python2.7 installed and all the dependencies there. There is no sense in
installing packages twice!

As I said. Make python 3.5 the default if python 2.7 is not installed
but don't force 3.x when there is no real reason.

Just getting more installations isn't a valid reason to risk break it
for someone.

Regards
   Estartu