PYTHON_VERSION=python3.4 and USES=python:2,build

Marcus von Appen mva at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 1 09:10:39 UTC 2014

Zitat von Andrew Berg <aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu>:

> On 2014.11.30 08:23, John W. O'Brien wrote:
>>> Why this instead of using DEFAULT_VERSIONS?
>>
>> I was following this advice:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2014-October/007606.html
> Then I am interested in why Marcus is suggesting PYTHON_VERSION rather than
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS. I am currently doing a build run for a separate set to do
> Python 2.7 as the default version for the few ports I need that
> require it, but I am using DEFAULT_VERSIONS.

I think, you are misinterpreting something or I am not getting what
you both are up to.

The advice from the mail in October handles the following situation:

1) Joe User uses Python X as default
2) Joe User wants to install a port PP for Python Q
3) To avoid conflicts, Joe User has to
   a) install PP with PYTHON_VERSION=Q - or -
   b) set up a poudriere with with Python X as default (DEFAULT_VERSIONS=...)
      and a make.conf entry setting PYTHON_VERSION=Q

This is necessary to avoid build and installation conflicts for
packages, which
support different Python versions (X and Q) at the same time, packages, which
can be installed concurrently, etc.

Cheers
Marcus