Multiple Python eggs within one port

Matthias Petermann matthias at d2ux.net
Thu May 16 06:54:10 UTC 2013

Hi Chis,

Zitat von Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com>:

> Usually a master/slave configuration is more appropriate.  Are you familiar
> with those?

at least I guess have seen such configurations e.g. for the gnome
desktop(?). So do you mean, there is one master port which causes the
~50 ports to build in sequence? This would make sense as an addition
to the current approach.

My concern was about the number of single ports. Currently, Tryton
provides ~50 modules/eggs, for each a single port. Currently we are
planning to support 2...3 tryton versions in parallel within the
ports. This would even grow this number to ~150. I worked with a
committer on this and he mentioned, that portsmgr might be not too
happy about such a large number just for a relatively small
application. That's why I considered to bundle the eggs into one port.
But response from portsmgr is still open, maybe they don't see an
issue with this.

Best regards,
Matthias