[HEADS UP] lang/python removed as implicit port dependency

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 07:32:27 UTC 2013

On 19/12/2013 4:26 AM, Marcus von Appen wrote:
> On behalf of the FreeBSD python team, I'd like to announce that the
> lang/python port has been removed as an implicit port dependency for
> ports using USE_PYTHON, USE_PYTHON_BUILD and USE_PYTHON_RUN in revision
> 336850.
>
> Why?
>
>   The removal is necessary to bring us a step closer to building and
>   installing ports for multiple python versions at the same time.
>
> What does that mean for port users?
>
>   If you are using the ports tree to build your own ports from scratch,
>   propably not much. Chances are high that lang/python was installed
>   earlier, either as dependency or directly by you. In that case, it is
>   very unlikely that you will run into any trouble with the change and
>   hence you should not need to do anything in special.
>
> What does that mean for pkg users?
>
>   If you are using pkg or are running your own pkg build server
>   (e.g. via poudriere), it might happen that the one or other port
>   breaks, since it cannot find the 'python' command or something
>   else, which is installed by lang/python.
>
>   We tried our best to keep the breakage as low as possible, but with
>   more than 24000 ports to test and endless OPTION combinations, this is
>   an impossible task. Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience
>   and let us know about that misbehaviour by submitting a PR.
>
> If you are not a port maintainer, committer or developer, you can stop
> reading now.
>
> What about maintainers and port developers?
>
>   Please read the CHANGES. Keep the direct usage of lang/python within
>   BUILD_ and RUN_DEPENDS as low as possible. Using lang/python as
>   dependency will complicate package building for different python
>   versions (due to the PACKAGE_DEPENDS_ONLY knob). Ports should refer to
>   a specific python version, version range or a version meta port
>   (lang/python2 or lang/python3) instead.
>
>   USE_PYTHON=yes and friends will only pull in the default python
>   version now (e.g. lang/python27 or whatever is configured via
>   DEFAULT_VERSIONS), so test your port thoroughly for (a possibly)
>   incorrect usage of the 'python' command.
>
> Cheers
> Marcus

I'd just like to let everyone know just how laborious this body of work
was, and say that the degree to which it was a success and seamless is a
testament to Marcus' commitment and tenacity.

Among other Big Hairy Audacious Goal's the Python@ team has kicked in
the past two quarters, this and the move to setuptools install led by
William (wg@) deserve special recognition.

So *thank you* both, on behalf of every FreeBSD/Python user, developer
and administrator who is set to benefit from your efforts.

Stand out work :)

Koobs