Naming of lang/pypy and lang/pypy3

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 19:14:16 UTC 2013

Hi All,

The pypy team have released a version of pypy that supports python-3.2 (while
the existing port supports python-2.7).

I would like to quickly talk about two concepts here:
 * python language version (such as python-2.7, python-3.2, etc)
 * python implementation version (such as pypy-2.1, jython-?.?, ironpython-?.?
and cpython-2.7)

Currently the only supported implementation of python in bsd.python.mk is
cpython and bsd.python.mk assumes the implementation and language version is
the same.  Of note, pypy seems to be the only implementation who's version
does not match the language.  I would like to eventually teach bsd.python.mk
about different implementations, so with that in mind the current situation
for pypy is:

The pypy library directory and binary are suffixed with the implementation
version (currently 2.1) however with pypy3 keeping the same version as pypy
(and pypy32.1 is just confusing) how should I handle the version numbering?

I could think of:
 a) use the language version as the suffix (i.e. pypy2.7 and pypy3.2)
 b) use a combination of the two (i.e. pypy2.1-2.7 and pypy2.1-2.7)
 c) use some other numbering scheme

I currently prefer using option (a).  Your thoughts?

Regards