setuptools status

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Mon Jun 11 03:37:20 UTC 2007

Alexander Botero-Lowry wrote:
>> Python modules are slowly moving from distutils
>> to setuptools. I have no python experience, but
>> I see that this causes serious and annoying
>> problems for newer ports.
>>
> Are you referring to the OSRELEASE problem, or are you referring to the
> intra-port egg dependency problem?
>
>> Is there someone willing to identify and attempt
>> to solve the problems?
> We have ok solutions for many of these problems; it's hard to do anything
> better (or simply impossible) in some cases. In other cases the update to
> Python 2.5 (which I started fixing on and miwi@ is helping out with) includes
> considerably better support for setuptools.

I think what we need is a more generic OSVERSION patch for tinderbox or
whatever else (like jails) in order to make it possible to "cheat"
applications better if necessary.  For instance, make an easier way to
override uname(3) results rather than just replacing uname(1), etc.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!