capacity expansion of a raid 0+1 on smart array 5i

Kai Gallasch gallasch at free.de
Tue May 8 09:45:21 UTC 2007

Hi.

I was wondering whether this works to expand a smart array 5i under FreeBSD.

Example:

I have a DL360 G3 with a smart array 5i and a raid 0+1 consisting of two
36GB physical hotplug drives. The are split into two logical volumes da0
and da1 each with a size of 18GB.

- I want to have some additional logical volumes - but no space is left.
- Additionally I don't want to loose the data on the raid 0+1.

a) hotplug one of the 36GB physical drives and change it with a 147GB
hotplug drive.
b) rebuild the raid
c) hotplug the remaining 36GB drive, also replacing it with a 147GB drive.
d) rebuild the array
e) enter der array configuration utility and find additional (147GB -
36GB) drivespace available for additional logical volumes..

well, would be nice if it worked :)

Cheers,
Kai.

--