FreeBASIC port to PowerPC

Curtis Hamilton clhamilto at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 00:31:00 UTC 2021

With the help of others I’ve made significant progress and now have
freebasic working for PowerPC.

The ability for fbc to locate needed libraries and files seems to be broken
on FreeBSD. I had to manually add the needed libs to build and link
fbc-tests.  I’ve successfully built and run the log tests with no failures.
The unit tests build, but get errors running the test. There are endian
issues with the tests.

This is still a work in-progress.  However, anyone interested in helping or
trying fbc on FreeBSD can find my work at: https://GitHub.com/lenoil98/fbc
<https://github.com/lenoil98/fbc>

To build fbc, all you need to clone my repo and type “gmake bootstrap”.  If
all goes well, you should have the compiler “fbc” in the bin directory and
runtime in lib/freebasic/freebsd-[arch].

Due to the issue noted above, you will need to copy the files crtend.o,
crti.o, crtsavres.o, crtbegin.o, crtn.o and gcrt1.o to the
lib/freebasic/freebsd-powerpc[64] directory before attempting to compile
any of the example code. If you install fbc, you’ll also need to copy these
same files to /usr/local/lib/freebasic/freebsd-powerpc[64].

There is also support for arm and aarch64, but I’ve not tested this.