how many users of FreeBSD 12 do we have on powerpc?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Feb 13 04:10:15 UTC 2021

On 2/12/21 9:03 AM, Brandon Bergren wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021, at 12:39 AM, Damon Zwolinski wrote:
>> I have three G5s that are still on 10.  I use CDs/DVDs to install and I
>> don't think I could get 12 to work that way.  I'll try 13 this weekend.
>>
>> - d
>
> Make sure and do it with -BETA2 when it's out instead of using an earlier version -- there was a bug introduced in December that was only recently fixed that broke boot on G5, and -BETA2 will be the first version to contain the fix.
>
> The images should hopefully be available sometime today.

I am about to jump on this. Thank you. Do we still need to do some
fiddling at boot with kern.smp.disabled=1 and/or set usefdt=1 ?

I seem to recall something odd about the old PowerMac G5 units not
allowing multiple processor cores.

Regardless I will get that test going now.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC