how many users of FreeBSD 12 do we have on powerpc?

Brandon Bergren bdragon at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 12 02:50:13 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, at 8:39 PM, Julio Merino wrote:

> Oh, that's good to know. I might have observed it in one of the ALPHAs
> given that I tried this last month.
>
> Are there any more-recent images available with the fix? I checked the
> snapshots directory but couldn't see any. And attempting to buildworld
> from 12 results in:

-BETA2 is in the process of being built by the release engineering team and should be out within the next 24 hours.

> --- dummy.o ---
> cc  -O2 -pipe -fno-common -I/usr/src/tools/build/libc-bootstrap  -g -MD
>  -MF.depend.dummy.o -MTdummy.o -std=gnu99 -Wno-format-zero-length
> -Wsystem-headers -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type
> -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wunused-parameter
> -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs
> -Wredundant-decls -Wold-style-definition -Wno-pointer-sign
> -Wno-unused-result
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/powerpc.powerpc64/tmp/legacy/usr/include -c
> /usr/src/tools/build/dummy.c -o dummy.o
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-unused-result"
> *** [dummy.o] Error code 1
>
> which I'm guessing this is because of the ancient gcc 4.2... so what's
> the magic to rebuild 13, if possible?

The magic is undocumented because it's only been accomplished natively by me and one other person, and you end up with a damaged system even when you do accomplish it. It's *much* more straightforward to install from prebuilt bits.

--
  Brandon Bergren
  bdragon at FreeBSD.org