PowerMac G4 booting from memstick image

Mehul Sanghvi mehul.sanghvi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 01:05:20 UTC 2021

Thank you for the explanation.  I had seen something regarding SMP on the mailing list back in March
and so thought that it might be part of the 13.0 release.

I have made USB flash drive using the 13.0 memstick image, but am unable to boot from there consistently.

The first time, I got to the dialog box asking to choose Live CD, Shell or Install.  I had waited
A while to get to that stage, having gone through several minutes of:

   Root mount waiting for: CAM

and also

   aprobe1:ata1:0:1:0 CAM status: Command timeout

type of messages scrolling by on the screen.

Having gotten to the point of selecting Install,  the keyboard wouldn’t work.  An Apple keyboard, hooked up via KVM switch, which was working just fine upto that moment.

I attached the keyboard directly and tried again and now I’ve got the

   mountroot>

prompt as it couldn’t mount /dev/da0s3 the second time around.

Making a third attempt now, so lets see what happens.  I might look at what Alfredo suggested and write the ISO to the USB stick and see if that works rather than the memstick.img

Otherwise will just keep running NetBSD till 13.1 comes out.

cheers,

    mehul