Re: Last old PowerMac G5 that I have access to may be starting to fail: iichb0: I2C error

Brandon Bergren bdragon at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 16 20:42:38 UTC 2021

Do you have a dmesg? There's some bits in the thermal drivers I've been looking into recently where I have certain machines where the thermal chip is left in automatic mode but also the system attempts to drive it in manual mode, which causes things like the fans jerking on and off and spurious 103.0C readings on the temperature probe the chip is internally sampling. I half wonder if there's a similar issue causing us to accidentally crash the chip or something.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021, at 10:53 PM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:
> The 2-socket/1-core-each PowerMac G5 has had several
> sudden crashes recently, mostly while idle, usually
> with no messages. No response but to power controls
> once it fails.
>
> But I got one example (so far) where it reported
> something as it failed (and the fans then started
> to speed up):
>
> iichb0: I2C error
>
> The message was even recorded in /var/log/messages .
>
> The kernel and world have not been updated since
> back around 2021-Mar-12 or so. So the behavior
> appears to be new, without a system software change
> in a similar time frame.
>
> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com