panic: data storage interrupt trap when building world on PowerMac G5

Michael Tuexen tuexen at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 23 20:29:24 UTC 2020

> On 23. Jan 2020, at 20:41, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:32:03 +0100
> Michael Tuexen <tuexen at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> when trying to build world on a G5 with SMP disabled
>> (kern.smp.disabled=1 in /boot/loader.conf), I get the following panic:
>>
>> http://bsd14.fh-muenster.de/crash.jpeg
>>
>> It looks like this happens when memory is getting low (top was
>> running until the machine panics). The machine runs the kernel from
>> r356950.
>>
>> Any idea what is going wrong?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Michael
>
> That fault address looks very suspicious.  Reading it as hex encoding
> of ASCII we get " user ad".
Yes, you are right.

> Is there a reason you still have kern.smp.disabled=1?  I fixed the bug
Without that, the fans get very loud, on reboot you get timeouts, and
I think (haven't tried recently) the network interfaces die. With that,
no such problems.

This is the first time I try to do a buildworld after moving to clang
(which was done by a reinstall). Before the switch, the machine did multiple
buildworlds and was running very stable.

Best regards
Michael